Monday 11 December 2017

Our Hopes and Dreams for 2018








Driving with the girls towards Brighton to visit some good friends of ours, I asked to Pierpaolo the question he hates me to ask him: "So Pier... what are our hopes and wishes for the new year?". He briefly looks at me as if to say' this can't be a serious question', laughs and the list starts...


  • A bigger house
  • A new car
  • More money
  • Affording music lessons for the children
  • A dog for Ettore 
  • Rest

The not so serious list carries on and starts verging on the ridiculous... The house described not only becomes huge but has an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, a sauna...ah! A gym and of course a fully equipped recording studio, an art room, a few horses, a unicorn for Virginia... and Maria, our 18 month old chips in to the conversation in her really funny way of speaking ... "mnmn have some?" (which we think means can I have some) what ever is that the children are saying she would like to have some. Without mentioning the amazing gadgets our new car would possess... tables that come out of the floor, sweet dispensers, a mini cinema... and a compart for the dog of course.

The nonsense finishes, the car goes quiet, my mind wanders and my list begins... yes... I start wishing for a bigger place... with a MASSIVE laundry room and yeah... why not a new car too... though I am sentimentally attached to our Big Blue van and I would miss not having to kick the door to open the boot. (I don't ALWAYS do it... so Pier don't worry ;) ).

Pierpaolo puts up the volume of 'All I want for Christmas is You' and the noise is restored ... The girls sing at the top of their voices and that joyful thrill of the season is more present than ever.

The boys phone to let us know they have woken up and that they will spend  Saturday afternoon building the Christmas crib. 
                                    

                                    
                            
Everyone is happy! There is nothing we lack.


No automatic alt text available.
This post is part of the Catholic Women Blogging Network Blog Hop.  Click on the picture for more posts on this topic.


What can I desire for? What can I hope for next year? What do I wish for? I look around me... I have more than I deserve. A husband who has given everything up for me and us, loving and obedient children, a roof, clothes and above all we have God in our life! 

Straight away everything becomes clear and my wishes and hopes for the coming year are obvious. I want to be grateful at all times, especially when it gets hard, I lose focus on what's really important,  when things don't go as I want them to go and are not perfect before my eyes! I want to be able to trust in the Lord fully, from the beginning. I want to trust in His Providence without ever doubting that perhaps this time He won't help us out. I want  to love without reservations. I want our children to have confirmation that God is Love.




Psalm 31
 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.
Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LordGod of truth.
I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the Lord.
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.
Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.
10 For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.
11 I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me.
12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.
13 For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.
14 But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my God.
15 My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
16 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.
17 Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.
18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
19 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!
20 Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
21 Blessed be the Lord: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.
22 For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.
23 O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment